Monday, March 19, 2012

Day 19: Ebb and flow

I stayed off the internet for 3 days!  That was awesome.  No need to open a laptop, check emails, look at any websites.  Complete internet isolation.  I spent the time with people I love and it was refreshing not to look at my phone while we spent time together.

One of my best friends built a swing in the living room of his loft so my daughter could have a playground on a rainy day.  She determined it was a *thinking swing* and by sitting in it you get good ideas.  We all took a turn.  It was a time of belly laughs and silly giggles.

I watched my daughter and her little brother zoooooooom across the house playing chase, him naked, her running to avoid getting peed on.  You know, the good stuff.  It was fantastic to see the two of them having so much fun together.  

I had time with my loves and reconnected, reinforced and renewed our mutual spirits.  It was purposeful and deliberate.  It was thoughtful, inspiring and reinforced so many paradigms in my life.  It was needed.

When was the last time you disconnected so that you could deliberately connect to the people you love?  Can you think of the last time you took a day off of a computer?  Why?  What is so important here?  We used to wait days, weeks even, for mail to arrive from people we loved.  We cherished those envelopes, knowing that within were stories, secrets and sorrow.  Important details of life, written very deliberately with great care and effort.  Now we can send a letter in an instant and in some cases we completely ignore communicating with those who require more effort.

It's okay to ebb and flow.  Find a way to come to an internet high tide an then retreat into a sea of electronic solitude.  Find a purposeful, thoughtful way to reconnect with the people who matter to you.  Find out if you can disconnect.  


Next weekend, maybe I'll give up the cell phone too!

No comments:

Post a Comment