Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Day 21: Weeks and Weaks

Three weeks in and I'm still going.  Today was another temptation day.  I had to help a co-worker with the task of converting their personal Facebook page to a fan page and we had to log in to facilitate the change.  I didn't browse, I didn't interact, I just did the work of it and got the heck out of there.  I felt guilty just being on!  

Tomorrow I have to start a clear liquid 24 hour fast in preparation for my colonoscopy Friday morning.  The doctor's instructions don't really jive with my juice fast, as I am supposed to have clear juices with no pulp, jello, Gatorade and ginger ale or any CocaCola/Pepsi product.  I settled on Gatorade and Sprite and I'll have the not so pleasurable task of mixing in Mira-lax to every drink, so no chance I actually get any enjoyment out of the experience!

The things we do to correct the things we've done.

It's not fun to think about cancer risks but pay attention because according to Cancer.org:

Excluding skin cancers, colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer diagnosed in both men and women in the United States. The American Cancer Society's most recent estimates for the number of colorectal cancer cases in the United States are for 2012:

·       103,170 new cases of colon cancer
·       40,290 new cases of rectal cancer 

Overall, the lifetime risk of developing colorectal cancer is about 1 in 20 (5.1%).  Colorectal cancer is the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States when men and women are considered separately, and the second leading cause when both sexes are combined. It is expected to cause about 51,690 deaths during 2012. 

If you have a family history of colon cancer, like I do be sure to ask your doctor about screening as early as age 40 or anytime you show signs of blood in your stool.  

I got a phone call today from a friend who is also doing the juice fast.  He is having a hard time not "sneaking" nibbles of other food.  He is very challenged by the juice, veggie combo with no days off or *treat* meals.  I told him that I don't think the juice fast is that rigid a format.  It's got to be something you can do realistically and I think it's not going to be damaging to have a piece of lean meat a couple of times a week or to have a nibble of something you're craving a few times a week.  As long as you stick to it as your main course of action it's probably okay to deviate when you need to so that you don't stop completely.

Life is really about these moments of weakness.  They are our humanity.  We do not exist in perfection.  We are not made of stone, expertly crafted in the images of gods.  We are flesh and as flesh we are weak.  Our culture with it's myriad of mental distractions that take us out of our natural state of movement and physical work is slowly imprisoning us in this flesh, and an overabundance of it.

It's been weeks and weaks and still I am here, steady on my course.  Little baby steps to my goals.  In 5 days I leave for New Orleans for a restful, relaxing vacation with my dear loves and friends.  I can spend my days in warmth (physically and emotionally) there strolling the streets, seeing the sites and as time permits, learning my lines for the play.  Our read through is this weekend and we are 5 weeks from opening night!  

Weeks!

3 comments:

  1. BEEZZaRROO Your blog looks like you're tripping. What's in your juice this weak? I've heard the yummy yummy colon cocktails are better than they used to be. GOOD LUCK xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colon cocktail was delightful! :) And the doc says I have lovely insides.....the photos are so gorgeous I'm thinking of using them for this year's Christmas cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT NEWS AND GREAT IDEA, TOO.
    Nothing says "homemade" like healthy pink tissue.

    ReplyDelete