Sunday, April 29, 2012

Day 60: Curiouser and Curioser

So technically this is day 60 and should be my last day BUT I did say until May 1st and I'll stick to that.  61 days instead of 60.  I think Facebook will survive one more day without me.  I'm starting to plot my return post.  Think about what will go there in that re-inaugural text box.  Not sure what that will be yet.  Perhaps a photo.  

The picture today is from a note I found taped on the wall at the entrance to the radio station when I stopped in there this weekend.  It's handwritten, mostly craziness with sprinklings of Biblical subtext.  My first thought was that crazy people don't use the internet to write their manifestos.  Next I thought that they should quit throwing Jesus under the crazy bus, they are damaging his street cred.  Between them and the Westboro Baptist Church folks God is going to need a better publicist. 

I thought about someone actually taking the time to so neatly print this out on unlined paper in such precise rows.  Writing it down, driving to the radio station, finding some nasty dirty medical tape to use to tape it to the wall....that's commitment to an idea and to communicating a message.

Are we so committed in the things we communicate?  Do we put so much thought and time into our Facebook moments?  Should we?  Obviously, not to the extent of CRAZY but perhaps on some level having an actual plan with an idea before we share it with others is a beneficial thing.  Facebook and Twitter seem to be stream of consciousness styles of sharing, where you plug everyone in to your inner monologue and let her rip!

I'm not sure that's a good thing.  The process of discovery gets lost.  The process of sharing intimately, privately is rendered irrelevant.  Are we willing to give up our authentic intimacies in favor of not so intimate megaphone shout outs?  Maybe that's easy for me to say since I have the ability to speak my mind to thousands of people on the radio each day.  But the truth is, I don't speak my actual mind.  I speak the facet of me that appeals to the target listener.  It's very specific communicating with a certain type of recipient in mind.  There's no real right answer to any of this, just thinking through the new paradigm this type of access has created in our lives.

I've missed everyone.  It will be fun to be back.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole,
    I am going to MISS this blog. I love the way you write and the things you have to say. I'm not a fan of FB even though I have a page. I'm on once every couple of weeks and typically, 30 minutes is my tolerance level. Keep up what you are doing...I shall check out your other blog. I will be in OR in August...perhaps we can meet for lunch?
    Take care!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther, send me an email to my personal email (nicolevilencia@hotmail.com) and let me know your Oregon dates, I'd love to lunch! I have really enjoyed this process and thought about whether I'd keep writing a blog. I think I may have to, although this one will have to retire since it is a perishable concept with an expiration date. My other blog http://WordsFromTheNictionary.Blogspot.com is specifically for my poetry. I'd be happy to have you read it and always welcome feedback.

    I think there is a feature here where I can post and promote it on my Facebook/Twitter feeds, so I likely will set up a new blog for the purpose of blogging my mental meandering. Now I have to go think up a new name. :) I'm glad you came along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete